About the Award
The Mary Catherine Buswell Award, established in 1978, honors a WVU faculty/staff/student or a WV citizen who has provided outstanding service to women at WVU. Award recipients are chosen for excellence in their field as it relates to the advancement of WVU women, community and civic activities that serve and advance women, or significant pioneering activities that improve the status of women. The award winner will receive $1000 for travel, supplies, salary supplement, or any other use commensurate with WVU policies.
This award, sponsored by the WVU Council for Women’s Concerns, is presented annually to a living person who has provided outstanding service to WVU women (students, staff, and/or faculty). Service in this context normally should be above and beyond the individual’s regular assignment. Those eligible for the award are WVU employees, students and citizens of West Virginia, including both women and men. Personnel on all campuses are included.
Each year, the Buswell Award is presented during the WVU Week of Honors.
If you have any questions, please contact Katie Condon, Chair, Awards Committee, at Katie.Condon@mail.wvu.edu.
Participants are chosen for excellence in their field as it relates to:
- Service to and advancement of WVU women (with particular attention to the relationship to excellence in one’s chosen field).
- Outstanding achievements, awards, and other types of recognition (this could include community and civic involvement that has served and advanced women).
Nomination/Application Procedures & Packet Organization
- Nomination/Application Letter, addressing the above criteria
- Two names of individuals who could recommend and endorse the candidate if contacted
Nominees current resume/vita (optional)
- Additional letters of recommendation (optional)
- Additional supportive information, articles, or resources (optional)